Tuesday, September 18, 2012

the lame night that should have been cool


Most nights as parents tend to be lame, in that you can't go anywhere after the kids are asleep.  And you've been somewhat beaten into submission for so long you don't really want to go anywhere or do anything, anyway.  Waaaaay too much work.

But Friday -- Friday shouldn't have been that way.  (Aside: now, don't think we go out on dates every Friday night. We're not that cool, or in our case, rich.  Because when you take me out on a date, it's not exactly to Subway, mister.)

Friday, September 14 was the ten year anniversary of the day I met my husband.  And he impressed me from the very minute I met him -- after I got over the awkwardness of being totally checked out...  Man, I do kinda miss it when I think about how long it's been since that's happened.  I mean, by a stranger.  Wait, that sounds bad.  I didn't mean it like that.

Ahem.  I knew the date was coming up all summer long.  So I wanted to plan something special, something wonderful.  Something perfect.  And since I'm usually high-maintenance, this would have to be extra high maintenance.  Maybe I would even wear mascara.

Or not, because if he said something sweet and I teared up, it would hurt like the devil.

But instead, I just totally forgot about it.  We spent Friday night enduring my least-favorite-campout-of-all-time. (Avie, for the love of all that is good, I am not taking you on another one of those until you're thirty.) And Saturday, after the girls were put to bed, Scott went out to buy ice cream, and came home with bonus roses.  Sweet.  Somehow the conversation randomly took us to the supposedly-upcoming anniversary, only to find ...we'd spent it shivering in the great outdoors and playing mattress to Avie.

So we owe ourselves a date.  A really, really good one.

2 comments:

The Nat Nat said...

How the time flies!

And I bet you get checked out all the time from strangers - you are just too busy with your girls to notice!

Carina said...

This cracks me up. Great job, you two :)