Saturday, March 21, 2009

She talks! She walks! It's like she's a toddler!


How does the time get away so fast? My little girl's hair lies down. On its own. Without the gallons of hairspray. Little light-socket Betsy is gone... I can't say I'm devestated -- it always drove me crazy -- but Scott sure misses her crazy hair. Check out the picture. It kind-of makes you want to pet her and tell her "good animal."

Betsy has been talking up a storm since just before her birthday. She says "chees" when she does her sign for cheerios, which is pretty dang cute. She says "baby"/"bebe" whenever we see a picture of a baby. She'll even point when you ask where the baby is, or give the baby kisses. I babysat Maland a few weeks ago, and all that girl wanted to do was kiss the life out of the poor boy! Oh, "bebe, bebe, bebe..." it went on and on. She knows "ba" for ball, and will even retrieve balls from her bedroom on command. With coaxing. She's just barely started with "no" in the past couple days. Luckily, Betsy is still easily distracted so when she says no, I just get her a different toy/move her to a different spot. So far, it works. But it's definitely taught me to watch what words are coming out of my mouth. A little distressing to think it's made the list of her very first words. (We also get "ma, ma" for more. I'm not so thrilled by that one.)

She says "hey,"and "daddy," but I have to say, we definitely hear more about babies and cheerios. Betsy still struggles to sign water, so she's given us her own version of a sign for water. It's exactly like the sign for eat, except she puts one finger in her mouth to help her make the "waah" sound. So we hear "wa, wa, wa, wa." I guess it's a compromise.

She's also been walking for a while. Not perfectly, and not everywhere, but eight or ten steps easily and daily since shortly after her birthday.

Well, that's enough Betsy news for one day. Oh. The scouting picture has nothing -- nothing -- to do with Betsy. Or anything else recent, for that matter. But it makes me smile. Nothing like seeing your spouse looking like he's 15.

10 comments:

Shelly Beth said...

Wow! Time flies! I remember when Betsy was born and now she is 1, walking, talking, etc. They grow so fast! So, as I prepare for baby #2 I remember that you had a baby sling to carry Betsy in. I think it is in the picture you just posted? Anyways, did you make it, buy it, where, etc? I didn't use one for Isabelle and would love to give it a try this time around.

Chelsea said...

So exciting. She is absolutely darling and I can't believe how time flies! Ryan and I were talking about yall the other day and wondering how life was... and thinking that we really miss you guys! We really think the world of you!

Grace said...

cute post Mikelle. It's amazing once kids start walking how life gets so much more busy. Oh and is that Chase in the photo with your Dad and Scott?Boy does he look so grown up.

Laura said...

I can't believe all that little Betsy can do. You have a pretty smart girl on your hands. I agree with you that time flies so fast. I love your posts. As I read what you write I can just hear you saying it.

Carina said...

Wow, that's awesome. They do grow up so fast! Don't worry, "No" is one of Joshua's first words, too--in fact, he doesn't say much besides "No" and "Mama" =P She's so adorable!

Anonymous said...

She is so so cute! I love that she says cheerios!! :D

And I also love that picture of Scott :D so fun!

Meredith said...

I have to say that the first and last paragraph cracked me up! I needed that laugh! I hope you are hanging in there while flying solo.

Jacqueline said...

Oh my goodness, your little Betsy is darling, and your writing hilarious. What a great blog!

Kimmel Tippets said...

She's gotten so big! I loved reading all about her vocabulary and her walking triumphs!! It's really too bad we're all so far away because we now we have to learn about these things through the internet rather than by personal experience. She is precious Mickelle!!

Laurel said...

I can't believe she's walking! Wow! It makes me so sad that we're not living closer to you guys. Josh and I are throwing the idea around of moving back to Utah some day. It would be great to be close to you guys again.